[Bmi] computational terms as a sign of maturity

hans kuijper j_kuijper at online.nl
Sun Feb 17 18:07:00 EST 2013

Dear John,

I think your point (a science, or discipline, is immature until its phenomena can be explained in computational terms) is debatable. In 'On understanding understanding' (International Studies in the Philosophy of Science, 11:1 [1997], 7-20), Roger Penrose argues, by use of specific examples, that 'mathematical understanding is something which cannot be modelled in terms of entirely computational procedures'. See also his book The Road to Reality: A Complete Guide to the Physical World, BCA, 2004, pp. 7-24, 374-378,1027-1045; and his foreword to Hector Zenil (ed.), A Computable Universe: Understanding and Exploring Nature as Computation, World Scientific, 2013.

Talking about scientific/computational modelling, I would like to raise the following questions:

1) Can the mind be modelled directly or only indirectly (via the brain)? If the latter, why?

2) Can the the mind (as distinct from the brain) be modelled wholly or only partly? If the latter, why?

3) In the ongoing mind-body debate, to which camp do you belong?

4) Do you think we are (very complicated) robots? If so, what makes these robots acting and behaving?

5) If we are robots, physically determined, where does our sense of liberty, justice or compassion come from?

6) In the sentence 'the mind models the mind' subject equals object, right? How can?

7) If mind and culture are somehow related (I think they are pretty much the same), what could be the relationship between nature (brain) and culture? And would it be (theoretically) possible to formalise this relationship?

It seems to me that an unequivocal answer to thrse vexed questions is a prerequisite for having a sensible discussion about mind's embodiedness (link with brain) and embeddedness (link with society/Mitwelt).

Kind regards,
Hans Kuijper