[Bmi] brain-mind-society-culture

hans kuijper j_kuijper at online.nl
Fri Feb 15 16:38:21 EST 2013

Dear Professor Weng,

I consider each and every country (big or small) a culture-soaked society cum polity cum economy cum geography cum history to be studied not as an aggregate (Gesamtheit) but as a whole (Ganzheit), without disregard for its parts. Acknowledging the awesome explaining power of physics, chemistry and biology, I think a whole, say the human body, has properties that can not be reduced to those of its constituent parts. Man (body + mind) is both a part of and apart from nature, which makes him the originator of culture. He is a 'cosmic orphan' (Loren Eiseley), a 'non-trivial machine' (Heinz von Foerster), a 'strange loop' (Douglas Hofstadter), 'un roseau pensant' (Blaise Pascal). In the same vein, a country is not the sum total of its inhabitants; it is a holon, having its own beat and flavour, having emergent properties, insuffiently taken into account by scientists/scholars thus far.

I elaborate on this point in 'Lifting the study of China onto a higher plane' (pp. 15 [bottom] -20). Please visit www.academia.edu, type my name in the box at the top of the page, and click on the same name in the blue field.

In my view, the organisation of an international conference on the complexity of countries would be long overdue.

With kind regards,

Hans Kuijper