[Bmi] Artificial General Intelligence (AGI) vs. Understanding Brain-Mind

Juyang Weng weng at cse.msu.edu
Sun Nov 18 15:56:29 EST 2012

On 11/17/12 10:40 AM, Ben Goertzel wrote:
 > I have done some work on computational neuroscience myself, and in my
opinion the brain rarely uses a highly efficient way to do any given
things.
 > It's a bit of a kluge.   It's interesting to study, but it's not
anywhere near the optimal intelligent system; and of course, existing
computer hardware
 > is very different from the brain, so the best algorithms for
intelligence on current hardware are going to bear little detailed
resemblance to how
 > the brain does things...
 > Nevertheless, I think your approach is interesting and will be happy
to read your book!
 > -- Ben

On 11/17/12 11:08 AM, Juyang Weng wrote:

This is due to a lack of understanding and shallowness in modeling.
 From my model, the brain is an extremely efficient way to do everything
that humans and intelligent machines do daily. In fact, it is highly
optimal in mathematical sense.   In my book, any biological brain is
modeled as a developmental
machine, that is optimal statistically, in space and in time. You cannot
believe it until you read the book.

Do you mind if I invite bmi list to join this interesting line of
discussion?   This may help us to clarify the interesting issues.

-John