[Bmi] New from the MIT Press: Cognitive Robotics, edited by Angelo Cangelosi and Minoru Asada

Xie Ming (Assoc Prof) mmxie at ntu.edu.sg
Sun May 22 20:09:02 EDT 2022

Dear All,

I would like to share the following truths that I know from my studies and research works:

1.       Any entity in the universe has one list of can-do tasks and one list of can-not-do tasks. “Whether a human being or a robot is task-specific or not” is a superficial issue which could be totally ignored. It is wasting time to see such issue surfaces out again and again.

2.       Biological development refers to the reproduction in biological manufacturing. Such reproduction does not contribute to the design of mind.

3.       Social development is a process of gaining or growing experiences. Such development do contribute to the growth of knowledge and skills inside a mind. However, such progress is rooted on learning which has a prerequisite of “being educable” as outlined in my book published in 2003 by World Scientific Publishing Co.

4.       The discoveries made thousand years ago have told people that brain is brain while mind is mind. There are many experiments which could prove these discoveries. Such truth leads me to make the following statement: brain develops while mind learns.

5.       Humanoid robot includes body, brain, and mind. AI should be part of robotics. Robotics will drive the future growth of AI and prevents the third wave in AI to occur. Now, we have already entered the era of AI 3.0 (i.e. third generation of AI, but not third wave).

Warmest Regards

Ming XIE
http://society.robotics.sg<http://society.robotics.sg/>
http://www.pap.org.sg/our-party