[Bmi] Deep Learning, Convolution, and Error Back-Propagation

Tsvi Achler achler at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 19:33:27 EDT 2015

Hi John,
I'm sad to hear about the list and the moderators.
Frankly this and the fact that I do not have a position (tenured or
otherwise) is why I am not chiming in.  In fact below is what I had
written as a draft and never sent.
However if you need any help incognito, I am happy to help.
---
I completely agree with your new paragraphs and statements about
backprop and similar biologically implausible approaches, but no one
really wants to take alternatives seriously.

I can show mathematically that the same recognition using distributed
weights (as determined by a backprop or Hinton's mechanism and so on)
can be achieved without them by using localist weights and Hebbian
learning.
The key is instead to use dynamics and top down connections DURING
RECOGNITION to minimize reconstruction error.
However no one seems to even want to consider this.  Maybe 20 years
need to pass?
15 have already passed.

Of course this can also be connected to learning that is interested in
outcomes as you suggest (and which I also agree with).  It also gives
real time feedback about inputs involved in reconstruction error to
guide segmentation and attention.

See my new tutorial:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6jhtnREPl-dMzVaTHdTaU9iWmc&authuser=0
It is still not fully incorporated (You have to download it to view it).

-Tsvi