[Bmi] BMI Workshop on Brain-Mind tomorrow afternoon 1:30pm - 4:30pm

Juyang Weng weng at cse.msu.edu
Wed Jul 15 19:38:22 EDT 2015

Dear All,

If you are at IJCNN 2015, you are welcome to
the BMI Workshop on Brain-Mind tomorrow afternoon 1:30pm - 4:30pm
Thursday, July 16th, 2015 in Mangerton.

The workshop web is linked from the IJCNN 2015 web.
But here it is:
http://www.brain-mind-institute.org/ICBM2015.html

The scheduled talks are listed below.  But Leonid I. Perlovsky will not
be able to come.
If anybody likes to give a talk, please let me know.  But everybody is
welcome to participate in the discussion.
See the questions below for discussion.

Evolving Tool Use Behavior and Its Implications.
Yoonsuck Choe
Texas A&M University
College Station, Texas USA
.
Localist Representation:Neurophysiological Evidence and Theoretical
Arguments
Asim Roy
Arizona State University
Tempe, Arizona USA

Physics of the Mind
Leonid I. Perlovsky
Northeastern University
Boston, MA USA

Brain Wiring Enables a Turing Machine to Emerge inside the Network
Juyang Weng
Michigan State University
East Lansing, Michigan USA

- In what sense is the brain similar and at the same time dissimilar to
a computer?

- How can this comparison help us design a new kind of computer?

- Does distributed representation make a neural network a serial processor?

- Is there a doubt that single cells can have “meaning and interpretation?”

- Are aesthetic emotions different from basic emotions?

- What are their functions in cognition?

- How many aesthetic emotions exist?

- How can we measure aesthetic emotions?

- How Universal Turing Machines can help us understand brain operations?

- Are brains super Universal Turing Machines?  If yes, in what senses?

John

--
--
Juyang (John) Weng, Professor