[Bmi] I was banned from connectionist mailing list?

Juyang Weng weng at cse.msu.edu
Wed Apr 1 11:06:37 EDT 2015

With Tucker's kind permission, I provide his full email with my reply below.

On 3/31/15 9:53 PM, Tucker Balch wrote:
> John,
>
> I’m sending this to just you.
>
> You are free to do as you please of course.  I would just point out that leading AI journals primarily contain articles about AI and very few open letters to presidents.

It is true.  But BMI is for both Natural Intelligence and Artificial
Intelligence.  There has already been some key advances because of this
vision.  This is the true value of the BMI mailing list.   AI for only
machines is quickly obsolete, as you can sense.

> I agree that it would be interesting to have a venue for political discussion at the intersection of AI and politics.  If it is your intent to create such a venue, I’d suggest that you separate that from the Brain Mind Magazine, and reserve content for BMM.

Please see the above point.  Natural intelligence (including politics as
a special case) and artificial intelligence (including
multi-agent intelligence) should not separate.  Cross-disciplinary
communication is the main goal of BMI and BMM.   At this early stage, it
is hard for people to see this great need, like what happened to Charles
Darwin's evolution, but this is a trend of science.

> I have to say that this has reached the limits of something I can participate in.  If it continues I probably need to unsubscribe.

Let us be a little open-minded, instead of just following the crowds
elsewhere.  If AI converges to brain science, AI becomes more relevant
to intelligence.   What do you think?

Thank you for the inputs, as the number of people with your views is not
small.

Could I have your permission to make this communication available to BMI
mailing list, after removing your name?

-John

--
Juyang (John) Weng, Professor
MSU Cognitive Science Program and MSU Neuroscience Program
Email: weng at cse.msu.edu