[Bmi] Superhuman intelligent machines, e-cyborgs and h-cyborgs

Juyang Weng weng at cse.msu.edu
Tue Oct 1 11:21:16 EDT 2013

Dorian,

 From the cited Nature paper, it is about development, not evolution.
Evolution is across different generations.
Development is within a generation.  Evolution cannot take place
without development in each life.   Do you like to change e-cyborgs to
d-cyborgs?

Another comment is that if you had taken BMI 871, you would have had
very different views on the power of the
"cyborgs" or what is reported in that nature paper.  They miss the basic
set of developmental mechanisms (5+1 chunks) needed by
a brain.   Simply put, neurodynamics of a single neuron is far from
enough for any tangible intelligence.  My estimate is that it
corresponds to about 1% of the basic set of developmental mechanisms
needed by a brain: 5+1 chunks.  The "area" chunk uses
neurons, but the "area" chunk requires much more theory than neurons
that can connect and adapt.  It is like a cell is very far
from the brain tissue.

I am not saying that 5+1 chunks are absolutely sufficient for a
human-like brain, but they are necessary from my understanding of
their functions.  You might want to take a look first:

5 chunks:
J. Weng, "A 5-Chunk Developmental Brain-Mind Network Model for Multiple
Events in Complex Backgrounds,'' /International Joint Conference on
Neural Networks/, July 18-23, Barcelona, Spain, pp. 1-8, 2010. PDF file
<http://www.cse.msu.edu/%7eweng/research/WCCI10rvsd.pdf>. (The first
brain-mind model in the 5-chunk scale: development, architecture, area,
space and time.) DOI: 10.1109/IJCNN.2010.5596740
<http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/stamp.jsp>

+1 chunk (modulation):
J. Weng, , S. Paslaski, J. Daly, C. VanDam and J. Brown, "Modulation for
Emergent Networks: Serotonin and Dopamine,'' /Neural Networks,/ vol. 41,
pp. 225-239, 2013. PDF file
<http://www.cse.msu.edu/%7Eweng/research/DA+5HT-Weng-NN-2013.pdf>. [
This is a journal version of our models of two modulatory systems:
Serotonin and Dopamine based on the DN brain model.]
Y. Wang, X. Wu and J. Weng, ``Brain-Like Learning Directly from Dynamic
Cluttered Natural Video,'' in Proc. International Conference on
Brain-Mind, July 14-15, East Lansing, Michigan, USA, pp. 51-58, 2012.
PDF file <http://www.cse.msu.edu/%7Eweng/research/ICBM12-Wang.pdf>.
[Fully closed skull (no Y supervision), everything is moving. This work
modeled other two neuromodulatory systems: Acetylcholine (Ach) system
and norepinephrine (NE) system. The synapse maintenance leads to nearly
100% recognition rate in disjoint tests. Visualization of Ach maps
(standard deviation of synapse match) and synaptogenic factors (NE).]

Thanks.

-John

--
--