[Bmi] LV2013

Colin Schmidt Colin.Schmidt at univ-lemans.fr
Tue Dec 25 16:21:22 EST 2012

Merry Christmas to all!
-----------------------

March 22, 2013

The Progress and Uncertainties of Human-Robot Relationships

Due to technological interfaces and homo- and robo- sapiens encounters,  our nurturing instinct and general emotional dispositions have evolved  over time. In a certain way there has been a re-injection of the human  into the human-machine equation. The present symposium is an enquiry  into the possible forms of relations humans can experience with robots  for everyday life. As humans, we have our habits : we perform a sub-set  of our daily tasks with the help of machine strength, machine  intelligence or robots configured for specific tasks (some only  entertain the idea of accepting to do so). Technological advance and  applications in the fields of service robotics, epigenetic robotics and  cognitive robotics go to suggest great opportunities for change although  our habits guide us to reserving another sub-set of activities to be  done with humans only. Question: being permanently faced with  technological change, will we remain tributary to our habits? Will we be  able to, or even wish to, maintain the separation we entertain between  human-centred activities and robot-lead activities? Human companions do  trigger human interest, quite naturally, but what are personal robots,  as well as virtual or digital companions able to do? Some people already  seem more enticed by a screen than a face. In this symposium we plan to  discuss the scientific, religious and media-driven conceptions in  relation to the integration of robots and cyborgs in society, artificial  pleasure and discomfort, communitarian value-sphere and social change.

Keywords & Topics:  ▪ Indetermination   ▪ Seduction   ▪ Risk   ▪  Artificial General Intelligence   ▪ Social impact   ▪ Originality in  robotic creations   ▪ Cognitive enhancement   ▪ Technological offer and  influence    ▪ Dogma, moral and technological discovery   ▪ Care-giving  robots   ▪ Robot companions for citizens   ▪ Advanced robotics for  increased social presence    ▪ Personification   ▪ Acceptance   ▪  Incommunicability   ▪ Human factors philosophy   ▪ Revision of the  definition of Relationships   ▪ Hybrid engineering   ▪ Freedom and  rights of machines   ▪ Co-constructed experiences   ▪ Artificial Selfs  and Identities   ▪ Permanence of human values, Ethics   ▪ The uncanny  valley problem   ▪ Communication and dialogue   ▪ Human resemblance and  undecidability   ▪ Personal preferences   ▪ Theoretical controversies

KEYNOTE SPEAKER: Vincent MÜLLER, James Martin Research Fellow, Oxford  Martin Programme on the Impacts of Future Technology, University of  Oxford & ACT Thessaloniki. Coordinator of the European Union Network  for Cognitive Systems, Robotics and Interaction

You may find more information here on the entire event and how to submit (deadline 17 January 2013):

http://www.laval-virtual.org/2013/?p=308

Thanks in advance for alerting the appropriate colleagues.
Sincerely,
Colin Schmidt
ParisTech & U. LeMans, France
colin.schmidt at ensam.eu