[Bmi] BMI debate: Can we start to look at the brain-mind from the entire system point of view?

Thomas Shultz, Dr. thomas.shultz at mcgill.ca
Tue Oct 25 17:41:44 EDT 2011

Ali and John,

I agree with Ali that we ignore evolution at our peril. It is critically important that we come to understand how evolution shapes the adaptability of organisms and how it interacts with learning and development. All three of these processes concern problems of adaptation, and they share interesting algorithmic ideas and can even compensate for each other. They are not in natural opposition as so many psychologists assume.

I also agree with John, and much of biology, that development serves as a bridge between genotype and phenotype.

Even if one's primary interest is in building human-inspired robots, one should figure out what to build in, what to give over to development, and what to leave to learning. Learning methods themselves are products of evolution. We need to understand all three adaptive processes, which occur on different and nested time scales, and how they interact.

Natural evolution can indeed take a long time, but we can also study its principles in computational models, much like we do with cognition, development, and learning.

Cheers,
Tom