[Bmi] BMI debate: Can we start to look at the brain-mind from the entire system point of view?

leonid lperl at rcn.com
Thu Oct 20 16:45:48 EDT 2011

Hello to everybody

Views from the top and views from the bottom must be combined. Physics is a
successful science because it concentrates on fundamental principles, and
then proceeds to experimentally verifiable predictions. There are first
principles operating in the mind and brain. There are first principles at
every level of organization of matter. For the brain-mind I would list few:

- hierarchical organization of mental representations
- bottom-up and top-down signal interactions
- instinctual drives measuring vital organismic parameters and communicating
results to decision-making mechanisms
- emotions serving as neural signals communicating (as above) satisfaction
or dissatisfaction of instinctual drives
(the two principles above are discovered by Grossberg-Levine theory)
- the most important instinctual drive is the "instinct for knowledge." It
drives matching of bottom-up and top-down signals so that mental
representations are similar to reality (it is more important than survival
or procreation, because survival is not possible without perception and
cognition)
- "vague-to-crisp" process evolves mental representations to match reality,
this is the operation of the instinct for knowledge, which overcomes
exponential complexity
- special emotions correspond to the knowledge instinct; these are not
basic, but aesthetic emotions explaining higher human cognitive abilities
from understanding and cognition of objects an situations to abstract
concepts, and higher up to "mysterious" meanings of life and emotions of the
beautiful
- we need to understand the difference between language and cognitive
representations, and how they interact
- how the hierarchy of cognition is learned by every human child
- what are emotions of cognitive dissonances, and how human evolution
overcame these (most likely - music)
- some of the above are described by mathematical models - this is a must
- some of the above is experimentally confirmed - this is a must

What did I miss ? (possibly something) - please add fundamental laws,
explaining a lot from few assumptions, mathematical models of these
processes making experimental predictions, and finally experimental tests of
all of the above.

Best
Leonid

  _____