[Bmi] BMI debate: Can we start to look at the brain-mind from the entire system point of view?

Ali Minai minaiaa at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 15:02:17 EDT 2011

John

I think that a developmental perspective is crucial if we're ever going to
understand how the mind emerges from the brain, or how the brain-body system
works. In fact, I would say that we have to include not only development but
also evolution - not only how the zygote develops into a functional animal,
but also how simple animals evolve into animals with more complex
functionality by using the same modules in myriad ways. I have argued (and
am writing a book chapter on this) that the "evo-devo" approach needs to be
extended into the third dimension of mental function - asking "what
systematic evolutionary and developmental processes allow the emergence of a
system capable of mental function. Just as we have the idea of
"evolvability", so there must be an equivalent idea of "mentability" (or
some such word) that distinguishes systems capable of mental function from
those incapable of this. This should then be connected to development and
evolution.

All this said, I think that these types of global theoretical approaches
complement rather than replace the focused study of specific subsystems like
the hippocampus. Of course, I say this as someone who has worked on such
systems (including the hippocampus, where Dave's work has been a major
influence for me). Both global and parcellated investigations contribute to
our understanding. To insist on one or the other would just be an
ideological choice.

Best

Ali

--